Portugal translation news
Calls for Papers
A tradução na prática ∞ a prática da tradução V (TPPT) – 18 e 19 de Maio de 2018
Jornadas organizadas pela equipa KRAductus e pela Secção de Tradução da FLUC, em colaboração com a APTRAD e com o Conselho Nacional de Tradução (CNT). É especialmente dirigida a tradutor@s e futur@s tradutor@s e representa uma partilha de experiências, de modo a facilitar o trabalho em rede e a permitir uma reflexão conjunta sobre a prática da tradução. Tratar-se-ão os seguintes temas gerais:
- Gestão de projectos e tradução.
- Questões práticas de tradução.
Temas específicos de interesse comum.
As propostas devem feitas em forma de um resumo (max. 200 palavras) acompanhado de nome e minibiografia profissional. There is no registration fee. Abstract deadline: 3 March 2018. Faculdade de Letras da Universidade de Coimbra. Contact: tppt.trad@gmail.
International Conference on Translation & Literacy. Universidade Católica Portuguesa, Lisbon. 11-12 October 2018. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The role of translation in literacy is again in the spotlight. On the 11th and 12th of October the Universidade Católica Portuguesa will be hosting a two-day conference where translation and literacy will go hand in hand. It is not a surprise that translation as played a very important role in promoting literacy since the 1800s; translated collections and serialized newspapers meant not only and increase in education, but also and increase in the economy. Taking this into account and adding the fact that the modern citizen is a global citizen, perhaps the very meaning of “literacy” as come to be redefined. This redefinition of literacy implies, perhaps, that the role translation plays is also different. Possible topic can be; “Translation, literacy and citizenship in a global age”, “Literacy and the challenges of multilingualism”, “Pseudotranslation and the growth of literacy”, “Translation and migration(s)”, “Translation, literacy and media evolution”. Abstract deadline: February 15th, 2018 for the submission of papers for presentation (these must be accompanied by a brief biographical note (100 words)). These must be sent to: email@example.com. March 30th, 2018 for notification of acceptance of panel and paper proposals. CECC – Research Centre for Communication and Culture
Translation Studies and Children’s Literature, Belas Infiéis journal, Brazil. Deadline: 20th of February, 2019. Contact: http://periodicos.unb.br/index.php/belasinfieis
The consolidation of Translation Studies as a field of scholarly research, in the 1980s, is contemporary to the publishing of two pioneering works regarding children’s literature and translation: Gita Klingberg’s Children’s Fiction in the Hands of the Translators and Zohar Shavit’s Poetics of Children’s Literature, both from 1986. Some of the themes that have also arisen in the most recent events and publications are: (1) history of translation for children; (2) translating picture books and multimodality; (3) adaptations for children; (4) problems in translating cultural elements; (5) translation and morals; (6) the translator’s voice; (7) the child reader’s image; (8) the double addressee in translation of children’s literature, among others. We invite researchers to present contributions that discuss some of the above-mentioned topics, or others regarding translation and children’s literature.
Oficina de Tradução e Teatro – 17 de Fevereiro de 2018
Conta com a participação do Prof. António Sousa Ribeiro, vencedor do Grande Prémio de Tradução Literária APT/SPA 2017, e Pedro Lamas, actor, professor e encenador de teatro. A oficina é aberta a todas as interessadas na área da tradução e do teatro e incluirá, além da troca de experiências e da parte prática, uma encenação das propostas de tradução elaboradas durante a sessão por actores e actrizes convidadas. As línguas de trabalho serão o inglês e o português. Terá lugar na Faculdade de Letras da Universidade de Coimbra. As inscrições estarão abertas até ao dia 2 de Fevereiro 2018.
Inscrição através de: https://goo.gl/forms/w96tGYMjkQD5Xsqf1
International English and Translation, special issue of The Translator Vol. 23/4, edited by Karen Bennett and Rita Queiroz de Barros. http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rtrn20/current
Calls for Papers
- Google Translate & Modern Languages Education. 29 June 2018. Centre for Translation and Comparative Cultural Studies of the University of Nottingham. Abstract deadline: 31 January 2018.
- General and Specialist Translation / Interpretation: Theory, Method, Practice. 20 April 2018. European Society for Translation Studies, Kiev. Abstract deadline: 20 February 2018.
- Interdependence and Innovation. 29-30 November 2018, University of Applied Sciences, Cologne. Abstract deadline: 28 February 2018.
- 9th International Symposium for Young Researcher in Translation, Interpreting, Intercultural Studies and East Asian Studies. 29th of June 2018. Faculty of Translation and Interpreting, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona. Abstract deadline: March 10th.
- International Seminar on Translation and Interpreting (ISTrI) 2018 – “Technology and Media in Translation & Interpreting”. 17-19 October 2018. Translation and Interpreting Research Unit (UniTI) and the Graduate School of Translation and Interpretation, Peinang. Abstract deadline: 15 March 2018.
- Translation, Interpreting, and Culture: Old Dogmas, New Approaches. 26-28 September 2018. Constantine the Philosopher University, Nitra, Slovakia. Abstract deadline: 10 April 2018.
- Translating Feminism: Transfer, Transgression, Transformation. 13 – 15 June 2018. Leverhulme Trust International Network, University of Glasgow. Abstract deadline: 16 March 2018.
- International Conference ISIT. Discuss interpreting. The interpreter: roles and identities in a changing environment. 16-17 November 2018. Abstract deadline: 31 March 2018.
- 1st International e-Conference on Translation. Translation in and for Society. Investigating Sociological and Cultural Aspects in Literary and Specialized Domains. 26-28 September 2018. Abstract deadline: 31 March 2018.
- Recent Trends in Translator Training: Audiovisual Translation and Applied Technologies at Stake. Roehampton University, London. Abstract deadline: 1 August 2018.
- The Fourth Industrial Revolution. Reshaping languages in the media. 12th International Conference on Language Transfer in Audiovisual Media. 3-5 October 2018. Berlin, Germany. Abstract deadline: 31 March 2018.
- Framing, Drafting, Sketching. Hans J. Vermeer’s Theoretical Proposal to Translation Studies. 23-25 November 2018. Johannes Gutenberg Universität, Mainz, Germany. Abstract deadline: 15 April 2018.
Calls for Publication
- Comparative Critical Studies, Special Issue ‘Translation meets Book History: Intersections 1700-1950’. Guest Edited by Alice Colombo (University of Bristol), Niall Ó Ciosáin (NUI Galway) and Anne O’Connor (NUI Galway). Abstract deadline: 28 February 2018.
- Special Issue: Multilingual Humor in Translation. Guest Editor: Dr. Margherita Dore
University of Rome “La Sapienza”. Abstract deadline: 30 March 2018.
- Translation and Interpreting Series, volume II: Translation, Interpreting and Intermediation in Legal and Institutional Environments. Universidad de Córdoba, UCOPress. Article submission deadline: 31 May 2018.
- The Politics of Precariousness: Minorness Translated and Minorness Translating. Guest editors: Marc Charron and Raluca Tanasescu. Special issue of TTR: Traduction, Terminologie, Rédaction. Article submission deadline: 1 May 2018.
- Special Issue: The Interpreter and Translator Trainer. Recent Trends in Translator Training: Audiovisual Translation and Applied Technologies at Stake. Abstract deadline: 1 October 2018
- Journal TranslatoLogica. A Journal of Translation, Language, and Literature. II Volume. Uniwersytet Wroclawski, Poland. Extended deadline: 4 February 2018.
- Distance Learning – Research Methods in Translation and Interpreting Studies (2): Specific Research and Scientific Communication Skills. 19 February – 15 June 2018. Université de Genève. Application deadline: 5 February 2018.
- Spring School – Trends in Translation and Localization. One –week event. 5 – 9 March 2018. Anhalt University of Applied Sciences, Kõthen.
- Congreso Hispanoamericano de Traducción Audiovisual. 18-19 May 2018 Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- Translation Research – Translator Training. PPCU Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences Institute of English and American Studies. 24-26 May 2018. Budapest, Hungary.
- Summer School – From Neuroscience to Development Studies: Taking Stock of Translation Studies in Africa. 25 May – 1 June 2018. Stellenbosch University, South Africa.
- CETRA Summer School 2018: 30th Research Summer School in Translation Studies. 27th August – 7th September 2018. University of Leuven, Belgium. Campus Antwerp.
- Translation Studies Summer School 2018 – University of Tampere. Finland. 4 – 15 June 2018. Application deadline: 15 February 2018.
- LexESP 2018: V International Seminar on English and ESP Lexicology and Lexicography: The Words of the Law. University of Alicante, Alicante, Spain. 26-27April 2018.
- Fourth International Conference on Research into the Didactics of Translation. 20-22 June 2018. Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain.
- Fun for All V: International Conference on Video Game Translation and Accessibility. 7-8- June 2018. TransMedia Catalonia Research Group, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Spain.
- Translating Languages of Limited Diffusuion. 24 May 2018. Conference organised by the Department of English Language Pedagogy and Translation Studies. Pázmány Péter Catholic University, Budapest, Hungary.
- Nida School of Translation Studies. Translation Pedagogies. 21 May – 1 June 2018. San Pellegrino University Foundation, Italy.
- CIUTI Conference – Translation and Interpreting in an Era of Demographic and Technological Change: Innovations in Research, Practice and Training. 30-31 May 2018. Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, UK.
- Conference: 12th International Conference on Languages & the Media: The Fourth Industrial Revolution – Reshaping Languages in the Media. 3-5 October 2018. Radisson Blu Hotel, Berlin, Germany. Abstract deadline: 31 March 2018.
- Online course. Setting Up as a Freelance Translator. Institute of Translation and Interpreting, UK. February-April 2018.
- Webinar: Specialising in Legal Translation. 6 March 2018, 11a..m.
- Webinar: An Introduction to Medical Translation. 21 and 28 Febryary 2018.
- Course: Advancing Your Freelance Translation Career. Institute of Translation and Interpreting, UK. 2 March – 14 May 2018.
- New book: Translation in African Contexts – Postcolonial Texts, Queer Sexuality, and Cosmopolitan Fluency by Evan Maina Mwangi. The Kent State University Press.
- New book: Mundos en palabras: Learning Advanced Spanish through Translation by Ángeles Carreres, María Noriega-Sánchez, Carme Calduch. Routledge.
- New book: Contrebande littéraire et culturelle à la Belle Époque : Le « hard labour » de Georges Eekhoud entre Anvers, Paris et Bruxelles by Maud Gonne. Leuven University Press.
- New book: Research on Translator and Interpreter Training: A Collective Volume of Bibliometric Reviews and Empirical Studies on Learners by Jackie Xiu YanJun PanHonghua Wang. Springer.
- New book: Translating Popular Fiction. Embracing Otherness in Japanese Translations by Kayoko Nohara. Peter Lang Publishing.
- New book: Multimodal Pragmatics and Translation. A New Model for Source Text Analysis by Sara Dicerto. Palgrave.
- New book: Translation and Language in Nineteenth-Century Ireland. A European Perspective by Anne O’Connor. Palgrave.
- New book: Translation, Globalization and Translocation. The Classroom and Beyond by Concepción B. Godev (editor). Palgrave.
- New book: Health Translation and Media Communication. A Corpus Study of the Media Communication of Translated Health Knowledge by Meng Ji. Routledge.
- New book: The Routledge Handbook of Translation Studies and Linguistics by Kirsten Malmkjaer (editor). Routledge.
- New book: Berufsschutz für Übersetzer und Dolmetscher in Deutschland by Annika Schlesiger. Frank & Timme.
- New edition: The Translator’s Invisibility. A History of Translation by Lawrence Venuti. Routledge.
- New book: Dalla Voce al Segno. I Sottotitoli Italiani di Film d’Autore in Inglese, Spagnolo e Tedesco by Bruti S, Buffagni C., Garzelli B. Hoepli.
- New journal issue: The Journal of Translator Education and Translation Studies.
- New book: Towards Transcultural Awareness in Translation Pedagogy by Deconinck, Julie, Philippe Humblé, Arvi Sepp and Helene Stengers (editors). LIT Verlag.
- Special issue: Machine Translation. The State of Play. Special issue of Revista Tradumàtica.
- New book: When Translation Meets Technologies: Language Service Providers (LPs) in the Digital Age. Collaborative project with the Institute of Translation and Interpreting and the University of Portsmouth.
- Special issue: Specializes Communication – the Scholarly Perspective. Special issue of Trans-kom.
- New journal issue: Trans. Revista de Traductología.
- New journal issue: Hermeneus. Revista de traducción e interpretación.
- The Martha Cheung Award
- Survey: Disabled Translators’ Use of technology: Present Reality and Future Possibilities by Priscila Patatas.
- Invitation to participate in ongoing PhD research study about translational norms in biomedical translation.
If you would like to announce a translation-related initiative in this newsletter, or if you do not wish to be included on this mailing list, contact firstname.lastname@example.org